Roti (Rooti) is one of the many types of bread eaten in Yemen. It is usually bought at the local bakeries 10 or 20 at a time and it is best when it is hot and fresh, usually for breakfast or dinner. Here I tried making it at home, using a roti pan which we had made in Yemen and my regular oven.
3 cups of bread flour
1 1/4 cups of warm water
2 tsp. of yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
oil for brushing the pan
1. Mix together the flour, water, yeast, and salt. Knead until smooth.
2. Separate the dough into 8 round dough balls. Let it rest for at least 10 mins.
3. Brush the pan with oil.
4. Take a dough ball and roll it flat using a rolling pin. It should be long enough to fit in the pan. Then roll it along the long side and pinch the ends closed. Place it in the prepared pan.
5. Continue with the rest of the dough. Brush the tops of the bread with oil and cover and let rise until doubled in size. Approx. 1 hour in a warm house. In the meantime preheat your oven to 425 F for 20-30 minutes.
6. Once the dough has risen, place in the hot oven and cook for 25 mins. or until browned on top.