Mahalabia is a popular Ramadan dish. This is a simple, easy-to-make milk pudding which is served with the garnish of your choice.
4 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
2 tsp. flavoring of your choice (rosewater, almond, etc.)
crushed pistachios or almonds for garnish
1. Mix together the sugar and corn starch in a bowl until combined. Then add about 2-3 tbsp. of milk and mix well.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining milk over medium heat until it bubbly and hot, until just before it boils. Keep stirring the milk to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
3. When the milk is foamy and hot, add the sugar-cornstarch mixture and stir well. The mixture should thicken up within minutes as you continue to stir.
4. Remove from heat and mix in the flavoring.
5. Pour into small serving dishes and place in the refrigerator until set, about 2-4 hours. Sprinkle nuts on top before serving.