Lentil soup is a recipe that we make a lot. It is healthy, easy to make, and also economical. I usually puree the soup in the blender so that the texture comes out nice and smooth, but that is totally optional.
3/4 cup lentils, washed
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 onion, chopped
3 tbsp. oil
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt, to taste
2 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch cumin seeds
pinch turmeric, optional
4 cups water
1. Wash and drain the lentils.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion and cumin seeds in oil until the onions turn brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Then add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to one minute.
4. Add in the tomato sauce, lentils, water, salt, and turmeric and bring to a boil over high or medium heat.
5. Lower the heat to medium again, and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils have softened.
6. If you like, pour the soup into a blender and blend for about 30 seconds to one minute.
7. Return the soup to the pot for a few more minutes, cooking on low heat to allow some of the bubbles to escape. Soup is ready to serve!